Group Facilitation #2 Reflection

Today I facilitated a group on the topic of exploring volunteer opportunities. For my theoretical basis, I used a combination of MOHO and EHP and focused on the idea that there are countless volunteer opportunities in the Memphis area, right beside our school.
I started by having group members share their favorite volunteer experience. I think this was a good way to get the group going because everyone got to discuss happy memories of volunteering. Next, I had the group members write 2-3 strengths/talents that they have on an index card and then set the card aside. I then had the group make cards for the kids at St. Jude, we spent about 15 minutes creating and decorating the cards. I showed the group my example with some ideas of phrases they could write on the card and then let them decorate. I think that the activity went well overall and put volunteering into perspective for the group members. As the group members finished up their cards they shared how it made them feel to make the cards. I really enjoyed hearing their perspectives, they made some points that I didn't think about and made me feel inspired to volunteer!
After the card activity I asked the group members to look back at their index cards and think of a way that they could use their strengths to help others. The group shared their ideas and, again, brought up some unique, great ideas that really reflected each persons strengths and personalities. To end the group I handed out a sheet of volunteer opportunities and had the group talk about which ones they would like to try.
Overall I think the group went well. It really showed me that although our group was made of individuals with similar interests, each persons unique skills can be used to help people in diverse ways. Looking forward to leading groups as an OT!

Comments

  1. Emily- Thank you for this post. I will soon be posting group member feedback from your facilitation, and I think that you will recognize the truth in some of what you report in your Blog when you read the group member's feedback... most of the members reported that they really loved this group, and learned about volunteering opportunities that even people who have lived in or around Memphis for some time, were not aware of. They also unanimously reported loving the way it felt to know, as they were making the cards that a child would be acknowledged, held, and loved by receiving the cards. I specifically appreciate the obvious care and planning that you put into this session. The volunteer opportunities reference sheet was so wonderful and timely. I feel like your peers really could tell how much love and care went into designing the group. When members can feel that the leader cared enough to plan and prepare- it builds rapport and therapeutic relationship, like nothing else. Great work Emily, and lovely reflection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"DisABLED"