"DisABLED"

The TED talk referring to the defining of the word 'disability' shocked me. I have learned about person first language, and try to advocate for individuals with "disabilities" to be equal. I use the word disability often, and I, like Aimee, never actually took the time to research the term. When she began reading the synonyms for this word, I decided to google thesaurus and see if these synonyms had changed in the recent years. 

Here are some of the terms that are still on thesaurus.com today: 










I think this talk made me realize that although this term is used often and seems harmless, the "official" definition is hurtful and degrading. Honestly most of the people that I know that are deemed "disabled" have accomplished so much more than I have, and probably every will. These individuals are anything but "weakened, hurt, helpless, sidelined". Just because they are differently abled shows me that they are even stronger than people we considered "abled".  Instead of labeling people by what they may not be able to do, it is important to recognize them by the strengths they have. 



Comments

Post a Comment