The OT Process Key: Client-Centered

In the past ~3.5 months, I cannot count the number of times I have heard the words "client-centered". I think one of the main reasons that I love occupational therapy is because of this [top-down] approach to treating a client. OT is one of the only health professions that really focuses first on the client and then their medical needs/condition. During the lecture over the OT process, the importance of applying this approach became very evident to me. In the very beginning of the process, the therapist performs an evaluation of the client. To me, the real "meat" of this part is the occupational profile, in which the OT interviews the client to collect subjective data and learn more about the client's view of their occupational needs. All of the remaining steps taken in the OT process are based on the information obtained during this interview (and additional evaluation steps taken).
Of all healthcare professions, OTs are sued the least often. When asked why we thought this was, my brain automatically tried to go to more clinical reasons. I think that is why I found it so interesting to learn that this simply comes back to our therapeutic use of self and the relationships that we form with clients. By showing clients that we are personally invested in their progress, we form a therapeutic relationship that builds trust which is clearly proven to be effective, even when looking at the legal statistics. I look forward to continue to learn what client-centered therapy looks like and how I will be using it in the field.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"DisABLED"